Food Train Connects provides a one to one grocery shopping services for older people who are no longer able to manage independently, through age, ill health, frailty or disability. The Connects Shopping Friends service is a fantastic way to make an impact on the lives of older people in your community. The aim is to support older people to eat well, age well and live well.
The role is rewarding and it makes a huge difference to people's lives. It's amazing the impact that regular support with grocery shopping can have on someone who is isolated or lonely. If you want to make sure that an older person is able to live well in their own home this is a great opportunity to do so.
* Contact the older person you are matched with on a regular basis, usually weekly, to obtain their shopping list, carry out their shopping and then deliver to their home, putting away if necessary.
* Submit brief records, receipts for payment and to report any matters of concern to staff
* Keep within the boundaries of the role
* To inform Food Train Connects Staff of any accidents, incidents or complaints
* To maintain confidentiality
* To represent Food Train in a professional manner to our members and the wider community
An informal introduction by video call, induction, ongoing training opportunities, support from named member of staff
Out of pocket expenses paid?
Yes - If the shopping trip occurs outside the volunteer's own shopping trip they can claim travel expenses up to a maximum 10 miles at 45p per mile or public transport costs. Expense forms submitted on day of shopping and reimbursed within 24 hours
- An interest in people and their lives is essential
- Friendly, sociable and patient with a caring manner
- Ability to carry out regular shopping and deliver to older person's home
- Good verbal communication skills are required with a sense of humour who can adapt your conversation to different types of people
- Maintain consistent communication with Food Train Connects staff throughout
Restrictions on who can volunteer
No restrictions were specified.
Application Form; Induction/Training; Informal Chat; PVG membership required; Trial Period
No, not for this opportunity.
Shopping friends will be matched with an older person near them, ideally within 5 miles. Although a volunteer can indicate if they are willing to travel further. Volunteers required throughout Fife
This opportunity is not suitable for Saltire Awards (for volunteers aged 12-25).
To enquire/register an interest in this opportunity call us (FVA) on 0800 389 6046, e-mail us, or fill out this form:
Find out more about volunteering
View our introduction to volunteering page or contact us to find out more -
our experts love helping people of all ages and backgrounds to become volunteers.
Register your opportunity
If you are an Organisation that would like your opportunity to be shown on our website, promoted by us and our staff to be aware of it when matching potential volunteers, please request a registration form here.
Help and Support
Call us to arrange an appointment
Give us a call on 0800 389 6046 to arrange an appointment to chat with our staff about what opportunities are available. Meetings can be arranged outside of the office in some cases.
Register with us
Fill out our registration form and a member of staff will then get in touch with you to discuss volunteering options to suit you.
If you volunteer or you're interested in volunteering then sign up for our free e-mail bulletin for volunteers - it only takes a few seconds. We send out bulletins roughly every two weeks and you can unsubscribe at any time.