supporting, developing and representing community groups,
voluntary organisations, social enterprises and volunteering
  • Updated advice if you're on the shielding list

    Created: 08/01/2021, Updated: 11/01/2021

    The Scottish Government has provided updated advice for people on the shielding list in lockdown, since the introduction of new lockdown measures across most of Scotland on 05 January 2021. The Chief Medical Officer is writing to everyone on the shielding list during the week beginning 04 January to set out this advice. 

    Key points highlighted in the updated advice include:

    Going outside

    The Scottish Government is asking you to stay at home as much as possible, but state that you can still go out for exercise, essential shopping or medicines.

    Working from home

    The Scottish Government states that if you're on the shielding list you should continue to work from home if you can. If you cannot work from home, if you live or work in an area in lockdown, you should not go to work. The letter you will receive from the Chief Medical Officer acts as a fit note for as long as lockdown restrictions are in place.

    This letter is called a shielding notification and can be shown to your employer without the need for a GP fit note.

    Financial help if you cannot work from home

    The Scottish Government advise that if you cannot work from home, then your employer may be able to furlough you through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. This is at your employer's discretion. The scheme will continue until April 2021. If your employer furloughs you, you will stay off work but get up to 80% of your normal salary. Your employer will also keep paying your National Insurance and pension contributions.

    If you are not furloughed, you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (at your employer's discretion), Universal Credit, or other benefits. To find out what benefits you can get, speak to your employer, visit GOV.UK, or contact Citizens Advice Scotland.

    Some employers may offer other financial support if you can't work from home, so you should also ask your employer about this.

    Financial help if you are self-employed and cannot work from home

    The Job Retention Scheme (furlough) does not cover you if you are self-employed. Instead, find out if you can get support from the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme at GOV.UK.

    Working if you have been vaccinated
    The Scottish Government ask that you continue to follow all advice for those on the shielding list, even if you have had a COVID-19 vaccination. This includes the advice about work. While a full course of the vaccine (two doses) will help prevent you from becoming seriously ill from COVID-19, the Government does not yet know if it will keep you from catching and spreading the virus.

    For more information on what additional support there is available to you at this time, please read the updated advice.

    What now?
    See other news/events in the General News category
    Go to the main News page
    Tell us about your own news

Suggest an update/report an error/enquire about this page

News/Events Categories:

FVA news (197 items)
Job Vacancies (2,033 items)
Social Enterprise (60 items)
Funding and Finance (1,147 items)
Training and Learning (1,554 items)
Community Events (2,491 items)
Goods Donations and Services (57 items)
General News (1,992 items)
Volunteering (392 items)
Partnerships Networks and Forums (135 items)

Go to the main News page

Share your news/events

It's free! Tell us about your event, news, training, vacancy etc. by completing a short form and we'll add it to our e-bulletins and website - accessed by thousands of people every month.